Halloween is right around the corner and everyone is starting to plan their holiday festivities. What could be better than serving a spooky treat like Monsters’ eyeballs? This simple, delicious and healthy snack is the perfect Halloween snack or side dish. Your guests are certain to love the playful look almost as much as the taste.
• 1 dozen eggs (hardboiled)
• 2 avocados
• Green food coloring
• 1 cup hot water
• 1 tablespoon vinegar
• 1 can black olives
• Hot sauce (optional)
-note *Steps 1-4 optional*
1. Combine hot water, vinegar, and 10-12 drops of green food coloring in a mixing bowl.
2. Roll hardboiled eggs along counter top with a little pressure to crack the eggs’ shell.
3. Place the cracked eggs into the green food colored water for 3-4 minutes.
4. Remove eggs from the water and let dry on paper towels or in the egg carton.
5. Once dry, carefully peel eggs and cut into halves.
6. Remove the yolk from inside the egg halves and discard.
7. With a toothpick, draw green squiggly lines on the cut side of the eggs for a spooky eyeball effect.
8. Cut 2 avocados in half and spoon out the insides into a medium size mixing bowl, leaving the pit and peel to be thrown away.
9. Add a touch of salt and pepper to the avocado and mix thoroughly.
10. Add hot sauce to the avocado mixture for more of a spicy flavor (optional).
11. Place a spoonful of the avocado mix into the egg.
12. Cut a couple black olives into small slices and top off the avocado mix to finish the monsters eyeball look.
13. Serve and enjoy